Sunday 25 August 2013

CBB's Highlighted Highlights- Day Two


As much as I love CBB, and believe me I really do, as with any BB series I find that the first few days take a while to get going. There aren't any tasks, as pointless rating tasks don't count and any twists are shown from at least a dozen different angles. Whilst I'm all for anything that makes the show a bit more accessible and encourages people to watch, it can all feel a bit samey.

Tonight we see the Temple Trio enter the house, like we did last night, only in more detail. In the preview of the show we see Sophie say “I don't see how we can slip up”. Guys, I think they're gonna slip up.

The show begins with Charlotte helping herself to some breakfast. Now Charlotte, you can shit yourself and you can piss yourself, but please don't drink out of the shared milk bottle.

Meanwhile, the Temple Trio have been given some new clothes and whilst it's true that white is 'in' this season, they look more like the staff from Danielle's botox clinic. That, or a more sartorially savvy KKK.

Actually, speaking of Danielle, she seems to be known by Marcus as Irish Reality Star Danielle, so sorry about that Danielle.

The first points winner of this episode is Louis, who says that he had no problem with nominating people. Well thank God. The faux soul searching and agonising over nominations is an aspect of BB that I find simultaneously baffling and irritating. You knew that you would have to do it and in the first few days you really don't have any loyalty to anyone, so just bloody do it. However, I'm aware that this attitude would possibly get me booted out of the house first.

A blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment that I found quite interesting was Charlotte admitting that she finds filming Geordie Shore boring. Ignoring the fact that her appearance in the house probably signifies that she'll be leaving Geordie Shore quite soon, I actually found this little statement quite telling. Although she has been painted as a crude party girl with a brain the size of a grape, the fact that Charlotte gets bored with the rinse-repeat, or drink-vomit-repeat, plot lines of Geordie Shore to me signifies that her heart isn't in it and that to her, it's like any other job.
Whilst I can understand why many viewers find her crass and abrasive, I feel an inexplicable warmth towards Charlotte. Maybe it's because I've seen a lot of particularly unimaginative tweets branding her a slag, a term that makes my blood boil, I don't know.

Finally, we see My First Love Abz, chatting with Mario in the garden. Mario is unbelievably patronising when questioning Abz about what he's up to now and says “Still, it must be nice to work.” Although I acknowledge that the formation of 5ive was hardly a definitive moment in music history, their reunion has been relatively well received; a sentiment that I don't think would be echoed should a TOWIE reunion occur in 10 years, so you be patronising whilst you can Mario.

Abz then moves into the bedroom to listen to Courtney explain the intricacies of a boob job. Not that I was considering it, but her revelation that she needs to wear a bra at all times put me off the idea in seconds. As a girl who enjoys few things more than taking off her bra at the end of the day, I'll stick with my breasts; “small and humble, so you don't confuse them with mountains.


Next, wearing sheets that I assume the BB producers use to cover their cars with in winter, the Temple Trio decide that Ron will be the first housemate to face the public vote and after they enter the house and BB have announced the news, we see Mario share his suspicions that Louis, Lauren and Sophie have been watching them from a secret house and that it was in fact them who nominated Ron and not the general public. Hey BB, if Mario Falcone is guessing your twists, then it's time to get some new ones.
Charlotte, meanwhile, is less rational about the decision and takes out her anger on an unsuspecting gateau.
Ron, sitting in the diary room with his legs at a 180 degree angle, seems indifferent to the news, so I assume that no more desserts were harmed that night.


And finally, it ain't BB without a formal warning! And it definitely isn't CBB without it being given for racist language! Louis, completely unaware of Ron's career, quizzes Carol for the low down. Carol, never shy in coming forward, informed Louis that Ron was “heard on mic calling a footballer a n*****”. Quicker than you can say 'context' Carol was hauled into the Diary Room and given a formal warning, being told that Big Brother “may have no choice but to remove [her]” if she repeated this again.

Little tip for BB producers, if you're worried about racist language being used on the show it's probably best to minimise the risk of this occurring by NOT putting someone who lost their career because they used racist language, as it's probably going to crop up at some point.
The action seems so ludicrous that a small part of me even suspects that the warning is actually nothing to do with the possibility of causing offence to viewers and more to do with an agreement between Ron and producers that his little slip up wouldn't be mentioned. Surely the whole point of putting a celeb that has been involved in racial controversy into the house is so that this incident will be discussed, either reaffirming or changing the public's opinions. How is this going to happen if housemates feel scared to bring it up for fear of being reprimanded? Granted, I would probably have said “The N Word”, as I think even Louis Spence could have worked it out, but I don't think someone repeating Ron's words will cause as much offence as Ron using the term in the first place.
This, in my opinion (which I acknowledge is skewed as I have never been on the receiving end of any kind of racism), is yet another example of BB producers attempting to make up for sins past and holding their hands up saying “We're not racist? See? We're even trying to stamp out any acknowledgement that racism could even possibly exist.

I could go on about this all day, but I'm really interested in your opinions on this so comment and tweet me!

It seems like the show might be shedding it's slow-to-start skin and livening up, so I think this week is gonna be a good'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment